When you’re tired and cranky, it’s hard to have patience for leaky diaper at 3am. That’s why it is important for both parents and babies alike to get a good night’s sleep. But what if your baby has wet or soggy diapers? And what if the diaper doesn’t hold up all night long? We have the answer! In this blog post, we will review some of the best overnight diapers on the market today to help keep your little one dry during their nighttime hours. Best of all, they are affordable for most families so there really is something for everyone on this list!
(this post may contain affiliate links)
The Best Overnight Diapers
Huggies Overnights: Best for heavy wetters
Pampers Swaddlers Overnights: Most comfortable diaper
Luvs Ultra Leakguards: Most affordable diaper
Honest Overnights: Best natural diaper
Sposie Overnight Diaper Booster: Best for tummy sleepers and heavy wetters
GroVia Buttah O.N.E. Cloth Diaper: Best cloth diaper
Goodnites Bedtime Underwear: Best for toddlers and younger kids
Does My Baby Need Overnight Diapers?
Daytime diapers don’t have as much absorbency as nighttime diapers and babies can’t stand the feeling of being wet. This is one of the reasons why they wake up at night.
Finding the best overnight diaper helps you and your baby go longer stretches at night without waking up needing a diaper change. Which is great for you and your baby!
My second baby was a great sleeper but he was a heavy wetter as well. We went from sleeping all night to waking up multiple times a night with soaked PJs and sheets.
No one wants to be changing sheets multiple times a night.
Having a good absorbent overnight diaper helped go longer stretches without frequent changes.
Do Overnight Diapers Make A Difference?
Overnight diapers have a lot more absorbency for up to 12 hours of liquid. This makes a huge difference in having your baby sleep longer stretches through the night.
Not all brands make overnight diapers. For heavy wetter, longer bouts of sleep, and the occasional blowout, these heavy-duty diapers make a difference.
What To Look For When Choosing An Overnight Diaper
- Absorbency: Best overnight diapers will contain up to 12 hours of liquid to keep your baby feeling dry all night long.
- Material: Best nighttime diaper choices should be made from natural fibers that are soft on the baby’s skin and able to breathe. Not all diapers are created equal.
- Fit: Best nighttime diaper for newborns, infants, toddlers, and kids is not a one-size-fits-all style. Be sure to try different brands to see which one fits your baby best in the waist and thighs.
- Possible Rash reaction: Best overnight diapers are hypoallergenic and safe to use if your child has sensitive skin.
- Price: Best overnight diapers are worth the investment if it means getting a good night’s sleep for you and your baby. There are a few different overnight diapers with different price points so be sure to find one that fits into your budget.
Tips For Overnight Diapering
- Size up: Best overnight diapers come in a variety of sizes and it is important to use the size that fits your child best but you can always go up one size to help go all night long. Just be sure to check the fit around the thighs so they don’t leak through the sides. If this is the case, then stick to the baby’s original size for a little longer.
- Double up: You can always put two diapers on the baby overnight. This way when the first diaper starts to leak, the second diaper with catch it. My second baby was such a heavy wetter at night that I would put one diaper on him in his size with another one size up, along with a cloth cover.
- Buy a smaller amount of different brands: Until you find the brand that works best for your baby, it’s best to buy a little of each brand so you don’t have a closet full of one brand that doesn’t work.
Huggies Overnights have up to 12 hours of protection to go all night long. They have a DryTouch liner so even if your baby has a full diaper, your baby feels dry. This also helps prevent irritation and rash.
Great grip on the tabs
Keeps baby dry
Some feel the new design has less absorbency
These have impressive absorbency. They give you 12 hours of protection as well as a great moisture wick so your baby will feel dry all night long. Pampers has a BreatheFree liner to help keep your baby feeling dry all night long.
Pampers have a soft cloth-like feel that feels really comfortable for your baby. This helps prevent irritation on their thighs from chaffing.
Good leak protection
Luvs diapers are the most affordable diaper, as well as being very durable. These are a great choice for night and day. This is great for when you don’t want your closets filled with multiple diaper brands.
They have extra stretch for a comfortable fit. This helps around sensitive tummies as well as prevents irritation around your baby’s thighs. The tabs are secure to help lock everything in and prevent tearing off.
I love the wetness indicator. They are great to know right away when your baby’s diaper needs to be changed or when you are on the fence just before a nap.
Not good for sensitive skin
This hypoallergenic overnight diaper is fragrance and chlorine-free, and can be good for sensitive skin. It has good absorption for up to 12 hours while doing a good job of preventing leaks.
While they are at a higher price point, they have the cutest designs. These are perfect for a baby’s sensitive skin.
Up to 12 hours of protection
Higher price point
This insert is added to your baby’s diaper and is great for preventing leaks and boosting absorption. It will be especially helpful for boys or tummy sleepers that are heavy wetters because you can place it in the front of the diaper. There sell them with adhesive or without adhesive depending on what your preference is.
Move it where you need it
Holds up to 8 ounces of liquid
Great for leak protection
Great for boys or tummy sleepers
Not great moisture-wicking
I love these cloth diapers! They are so incredibly soft on the skin and so absorbent. I’ve cloth diapered all three of my babies during the day and these were so amazingly absorbent that they were made for overnight use! The outside of the diaper is made with micro-fleece so they feel like butter! (hence the name!)
They are a true all-in-one diaper, meaning they are all you need from birth to toddlerhood. The best part about them is that you don’t have to prep them before you use them. These are incredibly easy to use and eco-friendly. I find these diapers are as absorbent as disposable diapers are and the elastic is strong. I have been using them for at least a year now and the elastic and absorbency are still holding on strong!
Great for sensitive skin
No prep needed
Higher price point
Adds more laundry
These are great for potty-trained kids and toddlers that need some help staying dry throughout the night. They have a stretchy waistband to keep your little one comfortable. Also, they have more of underwear feel to keep your little one feeling like a big kid.
They provide great protection from leaks all night long. As long as a Marvel design that kids will love.
Great leak protection
Extra padding for boys
5 layer protection for great absorption
Not great for sensitive skin
Choosing the best overnight diaper for your baby means more restful nights of sleep and less laundry piling up from wet PJs and sheets. Overnight diapers are well worth the investment for you and your baby.
Be sure to check out The Top 5 Pacifiers For Breastfed Babies (& Mistakes To Avoid)